Mounting to Pi B+

Moderator: Steve

Mounting to Pi B+

Postby alanmcdonley » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:16 pm

What is the recommended way to secure the PiDA over a Pi B+?

I'm thinking perhaps this could work:

Code: Select all
          Pi Droid Alpha
  -------------------------------------
      #                        #
      #   EzAzPi               #
  Stacking Con.        #
  Raspberry Pi B+      #
------------------------------------

It seems like the EzAsPi board will be offset by about 5mm, and will only allow drilling two Pi B+ mating holes. This is probably ok with the mated 26 pin connector and two stand-offs from the Pi B+ holding the EzAsPi board. Four point support would really be the best but the 5mm board offset puts two of the Pi B+ holes just off the end of the EzAzPi board.

The best "Breadboard" would be a genuine B+ prototyping board with a 40pin stacking connector, lots of proto area, and all four Pi B+ stand-offs locations pre-drilled. Surprisingly, I don't see any with as good a prototyping area as the EzAzPi.

Code: Select all
          Pi Droid Alpha
    ------------------------------------
      #                        #
      #   "Breadboard"         #
#                      #
# Raspberry Pi B+      #

Anyone?
alanmcdonley

Re: Mounting to Pi B+

Postby mikronauts » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:32 am

As you are willing to drill holes, I have a solution for you:

EZasPieProto300 large general purpose prototyping board
http://www.mikronauts.com/proto/ezaspieproto300/

You could drill both the 4 hole B+ pattern and the 2 hole B pattern in it, leaving you with a "sandwich" like

PiDroidAlpha
EZasPieProto300
B+/Rpi2

that can be perfectly secured together.

FYI, I also stock 40 pin stacking headers to make such a sandwich work.

For my bots, when I don't need an intermediate prototyping deck, I just use the nylon standoffs I supply sitting on the B+ below, as I am mostly worried about bending the stacking GPIO header, and simply hold the robot controller down when pulling cables.

I've also seen zip ties and rubber bands used to secure the boards togeather.
mikronauts

Postby alanmcdonley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 pm

It looks like the 300 board could work well, cut it down to the 85x56 and drill the five or six holes - may be able to use the hole at the close end of my "40 pin".

And it brings up all 40 pins to the proto area making it easy to access the 14 extra Pi B+ pins.

Looking better all the way around.
alanmcdonley

Postby mikronauts » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Happy to help.

Depending on what orientation / bussing style you like, there is also the 600 board.

FYI, I designed the 300 to fit as many 300 mil wide packages as I could (nicely)... the 600 was designed for large 600 mil packages.

The corner mounting holes are Parallax 4"x3" board compatible.

alanmcdonley wrote:It looks like the 300 board could work well, cut it down to the 85x56 and drill the five or six holes - may be able to use the hole at the close end of my "40 pin".

And it brings up all 40 pins to the proto area making it easy to access the 14 extra Pi B+ pins.

Looking better all the way around.
mikronauts

Postby alanmcdonley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:04 am

mikronauts wrote:
there is also the 600 board.

Product suggestion for future consideration: 85x56 Pi B+ stacking with the same great generic pattern as the 300 and 600 boards.

The currently available Pi B+ proto boards are trying too hard. They end up taking up too much space for screw terminal connections, undesired chips, and interfaces.

Your 300/600 pattern allows lots of *every thing*, and only what is wanted.
alanmcdonley

Postby mikronauts » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 am

Thank you. I tried hard to design the most useful layouts that I could. FYI, my proto boards also take Wago screw terminals - I made the holes large enough for them, and also for more than one lead per hole.

All I can say is "I do not talk about future products until they are tested, in stock and ready to ship" :-)

alanmcdonley wrote:Product suggestion for future consideration: 85x56 Pi B+ stacking with the same great generic pattern as the 300 and 600 boards.

The currently available Pi B+ proto boards are trying too hard. They end up taking up too much space for screw terminal connections, undesired chips, and interfaces.

Your 300/600 pattern allows lots of *every thing*, and only what is wanted.
mikronauts

Return to Pi Droid Alpha